The following is a history written
in 1930. It is interesting for the history it presents as well as the
insight it provides into the perspectives the people of that time had.
In presenting the history of Cook
County, it is essential that we know something of the territory from which
it was created. Irwin County was created in 1818, surveyed in 1818 and 1819
and the people began to draw the land about 1820. Irwin County originally
contained sixteen land districts; four small ones on the north side, nine
large ones in the middle and three small ones on the south side covering to
the Spanish border (or Florida line). The Four small districts on the north
lay broad side to the Ocmulgee River. The nine central districts of original
Irwin contained four thousand seven hundred and sixty one 490 acre lots of
"Old Irwin" was surveyed first
from east to west by Broodnax and from north to south by Johnson. Original
Irwin cornered northwest of Sylvester, Ga., on the Flint River. The
northeast corner was a little above where the present town of Ocilla, Ga.,
now stands, the southeast corner at Irwin Lakes below Valdosta and the
southwest corner is southwest of Thomasville, Ga., on the Florida line.
In 1825, nine districts were cut
off of "Old Irwin" to form Lowndes County. The line between the two counties
was the line between, the 9th and 6th land districts.
Berrien County was made from
Lowndes and Irwin in 1856. It consists of Four whole land districts and a
Fraction of another. These are the 5th and 6th, 9th and 10th and part of the
11th of original Irwin and Lowndes.
Cook County was created from
Berrien County in 1918. It is wholly in the 9th and 10th land districts of
"Old Irwin." Cook County is bounded on the north by Tilt County and New
River, on the east by New and Withlacoochee Rivers, on the south' by
Lowndes, County and on the west by Little River. Back to the top ^
About 1820, great areas of land
were granted by the state to individuals. It was cut into squares of 490
acres each, which were later granted by the state under the lottery system.
These lots were sold on an average of five dollars per lot. The taxes were
14 cents per lot per year.
Among those who received these
land grants in What is now Cook County were: A. Harper, H. E. Moore,
Zachariah Nester, B. Hancock, Berry Wells, T. W. Baker,
Robert N. Parrish,
Sr., J. T. Hancock, R. P. Hutchinson, William Gaskins, A. Edwards,
Daniel McCranie, Jr., Malcom McCranie, John Futch, Thomas Futch,
Martin Shaw, Jr., Mitchell Griffin and William G. Smith. Back to the top ^
TRAILS AND HIGHWAYS
With the coming of the first
settlers, roads were soon opened. Until this time only Indian trails were
found. The first public road to be built through this country was a stage
road which traversed the county from north to south. The road was known as
the Union Road. It passes by Hutchinson mill pond on through the eastern
part of Adel and up through Sparks and on through the county, the present
National Highway embracing it part of the way.
Since the departure of the
Indians, who did most of their traveling on foot, many changes have been
made in our modes of travel. In the pioneer days many oxen were used on the
farms. The towns were quite far apart and if it became necessary to go to
town or to a neighbor's house the family would ride in a cart. This was
nothing more or less than a large wooden box fitted on an axle. Only two
wheels were used to pull this contraption. An ox or a mule was used to pull
the vehicle. Road carts were often used. This vehicle had only two wheels,
but instead of a big box fastened on to hold the occupants or load, a small
seat for two was arranged upon the axle.
Later, one and two horse wagons
came into use. They were built with two axles and four wheels and a body or
bed as we see them today. The ox carts and wagons had either a tongue or
pair of shafts, according to the desired loads to be transported, heavy
loads requiring more horse or ox power than light ones. Then a tongue was
attached to the vehicle and two oxen or two mules were used. Those citizens
in better circumstances owned buggies and carriages. These often had tops to
protect the occupants from the sun and rain.
Through the country the stage
coaches often came. These were large vehicles, usually closed and driven by
a special driver seated on a specially built seat at the front of the coach.
These coaches were drawn by two or four horses according to the number of
passengers. These were used for long journeys and for the transportation of
mail. As the country developed and inventions became more numerous, trains,
automobiles, auto trucks, and buses came into use.
The coming of the train through
our country was a source of untold benefit in transporting passengers and
freight. In later years, the automobiles, trucks and buses have furnished a
wonderful means of transportation and with these conveniences have come
improved roads and in many instances paved roads.
Our county has a paved road, the
National Highway, traversing it from north to south. A paved road has been
completed between Adel and Nashville. The right-of-way has been cleared by
Scott Concrete and Pipe Co. and the county convicts for a paved road from
Adel to Moultrie.
The community roads are such an
improvement over the past muddy, bumpy ones, that one would scarcely
recognize them as the same roads they traveled a few years ago.
Elsewhere we will mention our
railroad facilities. We have the three railroads traversing our county.
This, too, makes transportation easy for those without cars. At present the
roads and highways are so good that great quantities of freight are
transported in trucks. More about Adel and Cook county Georgia...